July 2017 Meeting Date - Tuesday July 18th

##When and Where
The next Lubbock LUG ( Linux User Group ) meeting will be held

July 18, 2017 @ 6:30 PM to 8 PM

at

1010 Slide Rd.
Lubbock, TX

Home Instead Senior Care offices (in the Training room).

##Thoughts for the Next Meeting

Hey all, thanks for joining us last night at the LUG meeting for June 2017. We had a great time. We were really happy to see Ian back, and and excited to have Gary and Ashley join us for the first time.

Toward the end of the meeting (and I swear I’m going to set an agenda and try to keep to it so we get out by 8 PM like we’re supposed to), it was discussed that with newer folks joining and a heavy mix of experience levels, that we might do what many other LUGs do, and have a Beginners time at the start of the meeting. Those who are intermediate or advanced would then come ini a bit later. (Proposed Agenda below)

My thought is that we’d do the beginner’s time for about 20 minutes, then jump into the more advanced topics.

What I need from you all is feedback on this idea. Feel free to post here, or to just email your thoughts to me, or PM me through the board.

I think this would go a long way to getting the beginners up to speed without boring the advanced users to death in the process. There’s a reason school is broken into grades, but that doesn’t mean the freshmen can’t benefit from hearing and sharing in some of the senior content.

Goals for the Next meeting

• 6:30 PM - 20 Minutes
    • Beginner Time - The Command Line (Terminal) - Don’t be afraid, embrace the power.
      • How is it? Where is it? What is it?
      • Basic navigation / File and Folder Structure basics
      • sudo or not sudo, that is the question
  • 6:50 PM - 50 Minutes
    • Jumping into Gentoo - We will start the process of a Gentoo Linux install (one of the most, if not the most complicated distress to install, but an awesome learning opportunity.
  • 7:40 PM - 20 Minutes
    • Open Source and Linux News and Discussion topics
  • 8:00 PM
    • Conclusion and Close
1 Like

Brian, it sounds like a good plan!

1 Like