R PI Digital Picture Frame Project

RPi Digital Picture Frame
by mynameiscow » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:25 am

I created a script to run on my RPi. It’s a simple bash script run from the console.

Code:

[code]Select all#!/usr/bin/bash

PICDIR=/home/me/Pictures/forFrame

PICLIST=($(find $PICDIR -type f -regextype posix-extended -iregex “^.*jpg$|^.*jpeg$|^.*png$”))
nPics=$(echo ${PICLIST[@]} | wc -w)

while [[ 1 ]]; do
num=$(shuf -n 1 -i 0-$((nPics-1)) )
pic=${PICLIST[num]}
#echo $pic
( sleep 20 ; kill $(pgrep fbi) ) &
fbi -d /dev/fb0 $pic &> /dev/null
done
[/code]

• mynameiscow

Re: RPi Digital Picture Frame
by bmcgonag » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Can you post a parts list for the video output? In case anyone stumbles across it?

• bmcgonag

by mynameiscow » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:59 am

The hardware for this is fairly basic. I haven’t repackaged any of the hardware to make this a dedicated system
since I like the versatility of applying this stuff where and when it is needed.

Other than the Raspberry Pi, all of the non-obvious hardware is listed in detail below.

The monitor is this non-descript 7" LCD display. It’s used for things like reverse cameras in cars, so the resolution is great. http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Monitor-Support-Rotating-Screen/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399837871&sr=8-1&keywords=7

Since this is intended for a vehicle, it naturally expects a 12V DC supply. To this end, it doesn’t come with any adaptors other than a blue, red, and black wires you can solder wherever you please. As you can see here:

I had a power adapter for an external IDE hardrive, that I haven’t been using. So I soldered the black and red wires into the ground and 12V pins of the (I don’t know what its called, but I know you will recognize it) IDE power adapter thing, seen here:

So, putting it all togehter, no I have a reasonable little picture frame on my desk. Voila:

• mynameiscow

by bmcgonag » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 pm

That is Awesome! Is that little keyboard for the RPI?

• bmcgonag

by mynameiscow » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Indeed it is.

• mynameiscow

by mynameiscow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Sadly, my monitor died last night … oh well. It was fun while it laster.

• mynameiscow